What is Business Intelligence?
Business Intelligence (BI), is a software package that helps firms to analyze the datas on their large databases to get valuable infotmation and get decisions based on those informations. Business Intelligece is an application and technology compound that includes collecting, saving, analyzing and easying of accessing to data to plan and determine strategies which helps firms to get fast and robust decisions.
What is a Data Warehouse?
The main platform of business intelligence is datawarehouse.. The classic definition of the data warehouse was provide by W. H. Inmon when he described it as a “subject-oriented, integrated, time-variant, and non-volatile collection of data in support of management’s decision-making process.”. Datawarehouse is the system which the consisting and valid datas from different sources are being collected in the same area to have been spoken each other in the time dimension.
What is ETL?
ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) process is the process of cleansing, transforming, summarizing of raw data from heterogeneous sources and loading to datawarehouse. For example: integrating the sex column’s codes to one column structure, formatting the year columns to 4 digit in the records beyond of 2000, get rid of the records which are conflicting database constraints, cleaning the records that have logical errors.
Why is a need for business intelligence platforms? The most basic answer to the question can be summarized as follows:
- It’s not possible to access the whole past data for desicion support in large databases.
- Required datas can be obtained in relatively small time spans so it becomes impossible to achieve the whole picture.
- The queries which needed for obtaining statistical datas are very complex and only written by specialist. At the same time, production and maintanence of those reports is a complex and difficult task.
- Collecting and presenting in required chart format of statistical datas is quite difficult.
- It’s impossible that end user can access required statistical data by his or her effort.
- Production of reports takes very long time even hours or days.
What is OLAP (Online Analytical Processing)
OLAP is a software technology category which helps analysts, executives and users to access data rapidly, consistently and interactively by presenting various information views on raw datas which were transformed to be understandable for user. In this perspective, OLAP Server is the server which the datas, expressed as multidimensional cubes in datawarehouse, is being processed.